Turism in Scaunul Rupea
baner-1

The Evangelical Fortified Church in Meşendorf

Slide background
Slide background
Slide background
Slide background
Slide background
Slide background
Slide background
Slide background
Slide background
Slide background
 

It is one of the few settlements in the region to preserve a single name, used by all ethnical groups of inhabitants. Though the first name (Poteluky = The Priest’s Plot) suggests the existence of an early church, things are more complicated since it belonged to an ecclesiastical domain, namely the Cistercian monastery of Cârţa and thus the name might make reference to this state of facts. Even later on, the village still housed serf peasants, as it was included in the domain of the fortification of Tălmaciu in 1427. It was only in 1474, along the dissolution of the monastery in Câţa, that the village was donated to the parish church in Sibiu, dedicated to the Virgin. For a while, its administrative status was uncertain, but more often than not it depended on the authorities in Sibiu. In 1863 the Habsburg administration included the settlement in the Seat of Sighişoara.

The evangelical church has a coherent aspect, with proportional choir and nave, both vaulted and supported on the outside by equal buttresses. A buttress on the northern side of the choir nevertheless indicates the location of the old sacristy. During the last modifications of the church, making it fit for defense against Turkish attacks and civil wars, both components of the church were super-elevated, but on the upper part the defense solution of choice consisted of a wooden wall corridor supported by corbels. During the same time the inner vaulting systems were abandoned. Some of their elements were surprisingly preserved: several ogee crosses depicting God’s Right Hand (Dextra Domini) and a Marian rosette, initially used in the eastern end of the ogee network. The opening of the old windows was preserved, unlike the original decoration. Inside, one still finds a tabernacle with preserved ironwork, though it is not necessarily medieval in origin. The tribune’s panels are of great value since in 1765 Georg Rosenauer painted them with naive landscapes that include building complexes.

The fortification is also based on the church’s bell tower whose height dominates the entire complex.

999 Total Vizualizări 1 Astăzi
Back to Top