baner-1
Slide background
Slide background
Slide background
Slide background
Slide background
Slide background
Slide background
Slide background
Slide background
Slide background
 

The project The County of Rupea – The Promotion of Sightseeing Potential aims overall at promoting the sightseeing potential of the micro-region “The County of Rupea” through awareness over the existence fortified churches and fortresses, and also the promotion of the historical, cultural and ecumenical identity, not disregarding that of natural resources.
The objectives that will be promoted through this project are the following:

1. The Rupea Fortresse
2. The Evangelical Church in Rupea
3. The Evangelical Fortified Church in Fişer
4. The Evangelical Fortified Church in Buneşti
5. The Evangelical Fortified Church in Viscri (UNESCO)
6. The Evangelical Fortified Church in Criţ
7. The Evangelical Fortified Church in Meşendorf
8. The Evangelical Fortified Church in Roadeş
9. The Evangelical Fortified Church in Caţa
10. The Evangelical Fortified Church in Drăuşeni
11. The Evangelical Fortified Church in Beia
12. The Unitarian Fortified Church in Ioneşti
13. The Evangelical Fortified Church in Ungra
14. The Evangelical Fortified Church in Ticuşu Vechi
15. The Evangelical Fortified Church in Cobor

16. The Sükösd-Bethlen Castle in Racoş
17. The Evangelical Fortified Church in Jibert
18. The Evangelical Fortified Church in Dacia
19. The Evangelical Fortified Church in Homorod
20. The Evangelical Church in Jimbor
21. The Jimbor Fortresse
22. The Evangelical Fortified Church in Mercheaşa
23. The Calvinist Church in Hoghiz
24. The Unitarian Church in Hoghiz
25. The Haller Castle in Hoghiz
26. The Kalnoky Castle in Hoghiz
27. The Bogata Forest Reservation
28. The Basalt Columns from Racoş
29. The Perşani Mountains

SCAUNUL RUPEA

Scaunul Rupea

The Seat of Rupea

The area enclosed approximately by Olt and Târnava Mare rivers became known as an individual territory during the Middle Ages. The factors influencing its particular formation were represented by the presence of the royal-voivodal fortress at Rupea and the colonization of Saxon guests (Lat. hospites), which started already in the twelfth-thirteenth centuries. The area evolved from the stage of fortress’ “domain” to “district” of the fortress, and finally reached the form of “seat”. The “seat” derives from the role of place of high judgment, strictly necessary and precisely territorialized. During the last decades of the fourteenth century this territory reached the final stage in the formation of its identity, as the seat was already attested in 1337, and its capital, Rupea, in 1349. The fortress and the “seat” capital formed the administrative center of the surrounding villages, such as Caţa, Cobor, Dacia, Drăuşeni, Felmer, Fişer, Hălmeag, Homorod, Jibert, Jimbor, Lovnic, Mercheaşa, Şona, Ticuşu Nou, Ticuşu Vechi, Ungra şi Viscri. In the Middle Ages already, the population belonged to three different ethnic groups (Romanians, Saxons, and Szeklers), which spread gradually in various locations and in different numeric proportions. During the last two centuries, the number of Saxons decreased most rapidly (after 1990 only, 3000 Saxons emigrated from Rupea), the Szekler (Hungarian) population spread towards north-east, and the Romanians came to form the absolute majority. During the last century an important increase was recorded as concerns the number of the Gipsy (Roma) population.
The seat administration lasted for a long time, even though in 1876 it was linked to Târnava Mare county, in 1950 to Brașov (renamed Stalin City—Stalin Region). The last administrative reform, from 1965, abolished completely the „seat” and stabilized the link with Brașov through the institution of the county.

9025 Total Vizualizări 3 Astăzi
Back to Top